The Security Department provides the following security service:
- Internal and External preventative patrolling of the Hospital,
- Issuing of Security ID/Swipe Cards,
- Monitoring alarms – Intruder and Critical,
- Key control,
- Providing a lost and found property service,
- Reporting and investigating all incidents of crime,
- Monitoring swipe card access,
- Rapid response on a 24/7 basis to calls for assistance in A/E., Wards and Psychiatric Unit,
- Cash and personnel escorting,
- Monitoring and controlling the activities of contractors / building personnel and operating a permit to work system as appropriate,
- Traffic Management and Regulation,
- Ensuring compliance with Fire Services Acts. Emergency Legislation and Fire Officers directions,
- Responding to fire alarms,
- Advising management and staff on all aspects of security and security related matters,
- Liasing with the Garda Siochana and other relevant agencies.
This is given practical effect by providing a 24 hour, seven day week security service controlled from a central security control room with two way communication underpinned by a precise set of Standard Operating Procedures applicable to the anticipated duties.
The security service is provided by a contract security company.
The security personnel have undergone training in and are deemed competent in:
- Control room operational techniques
- Talk down skills
- Self defence
- Traffic management
- Crisis intervention